Bugs found so far in XFree86/OS2 3.3.1
Last updated 02 Oct 1997
These HTML pages can be downloaded from SET.GMD.DE (/pub/misc/XFree86OS2/html) by FTP.
Bug fixes below are collected in /pub/misc/XFree86OS2/fixes at the same site.
If you came here by a notice of this URL in some newsgroup article:
Here is the toplevel of the XFree86/OS2 pages.
Note: If possible, I will provide fixes as fast as possible on this page.
The main archive for the distribution is ftp.xfree86.org. If appropriate,
I'll also update the distribution files at this site. Maintainers are urged to
mirror ftp.xfree86.org for this software.
Generally, please ensure, that you have NO HARDWARE CONFLICTS, and that your
system runs stable in general. Flaky hardware and improper OS/2 configuration
may hide various effects or cause problems that wouldn't be there otherwise.
Don't expect that XFree86/OS2 can turn an instable OS/2 into a stable one.
List of recent files
The following is the list of recent file dates and sizes from the main
archive at ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/3.3.1/binaries/OS2. If your archives
or files differ from that, you have old versions (likely from some other
archive). Obtain the recent files!
Bug descriptions for older releases
The following link(s) refers to bugs known to be present in older releases.
Note that once there is a new release, we won't give support for
older versions any longer, unless the bug is still present - it is mainly
of problem of man power. Please upgrade to the most recent version.
Please get the following fixes, and apply them after the system is installed.
Annoying, but harmless, likely to be fixed in the next version, use workaround
for now, if available.
- (3.2/3.2A/3.3)Possible race condition in xinit
- There has been a report that xinit might cause X applications to be run in
xinitrc.cmd not to be started when the X server option
is specified. This will be analyzed further. If this happens, run xinitrc.cmd
manually from a PM CMD window.
- (3.3.1)Problem with keyboard focus
- There are reports that 3.3.1 has some problem with the keyboard focus in conjunction
with AfterStep and icewm window managers. Get the
following fix FX0009.
- (3.3.1)icewm window manager has problems displaying icons.
- Get the following fixed icewm.exe.
- (3.3.1)Duplicate symbol when linking with static libraries of Xt and Xaw.
- Install the following fix FX0008.
- TCP/IP 4.1 causes problems.
- If you install TCP/IP 4.1 under Warp 4, the X server may lockup or crash.
You have to install EMXFIX04 which is available from the standard EMX repositories.
This fix is recommended because of unrelated bug fixes, but is not required
specifically for XFree86/OS2 if you don't have TCP/IP 4.1.
May appear with XFree86 on other platforms as well, no idea when this will
be fixed. These problems are usually repeated on each bug page until
there is a final solution.
- There exists a general hardware conflict between certain
S3 or Mach32/64 based cards and COM4 (port address 0x2e8)
- This is a deficiency of these chip sets, unfortunately. If this happens,
the only workaround known is to disable the COM4 port, or switch it to a
base address other than 0x2e8.
- Server breaks SLIP/PPP connection
- No solution known yet, but at least there has been recently a report
for Linux in the XFree86 mailing list indicating that this is not an OS/2
problem. It was reported that this problem should not happen with the VGA16
server. It is possible that this happens with bad designed serial I/O
hardware which does not decode I/O port addresses correctly, and may then
point out some address conflict between video and serial I/O card. If you
know more about this, please tell me.
- Superprobe misdetects the videocard.
- Double check that you really have the hardware which was sold to you
We have found one case where Superprobe was right, and the dealer was lying.
If you are right, this turned out to be almost always a problem with
Superprobe, not with OS/2 or XFree86/OS2. Please send the output of Superprobe
from now on directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with a detailed
description of what this card really is.
Things that are not a bug
(but candidates for the FAQ...)
None known yet.
Mistakes in the documentation
- OS2.Notes is missing
- The file OS2.Notes mentioned in the docs is missing in X331doc.zip.
Get the file from here.
Inaccuracies or omissions from the XFree86 docs
None known yet.
Useful hints and tricks
The following are not bugs, but comments and hints, partly from other people.
Added here without warranty.
None reported yet. See also offical XFree86 FAQ.
This page was accessed since 4 June 97
(2418 times since 1 Nov 96, 645 times since 1 Sep 96, 1159 times since 22 May 96, 1749 times since 11 Mar 96).
Send reports to: Holger.Veit@gmd.de